We are a family of four with many pets. The kids are teens now and involved in a lot of activities and even jobs, so are seldom home these days. They are responsible for their world. Their room, their laundry, their (shared) bathroom.
I am currently laid off, out of work, pounding the pavement. So, because I have the most time at the house, keeping it clean falls to me. Here is how I do it.
Every day, without fail, I clean something. That's it. Sometimes it will be 15 minutes, sometimes it will be an hour or even 2. Every single day, I clean something.
Every day I clean something different than the day before. The mood strikes, the area calls, the dust is pouring off, whatever inspires me to clean that area or item, that day.
I do follow a general outline that works for me:
- Daily dishes
- Clean sink area after every load of dishes
- Daily dirty clothes into the hamper
- Daily make bed
- Daily wipe up spills/clean up messes as they happen
- Daily mail is handled and trash disposed of
- Bathroom fixtures, rinse sink after use
- Once a week sweep / vacuum all floors
- Once a week laundry
- Once a week mowing
- Once a week scrub the bathrooms
- Trash is taken out on an as needed basis. A little more than once a week as I work to avoid generating trash!
- Once a month maintenance / fix it item
- Once a month wipe down door frames & light switches
Scattered in among the other days are things like:
- Living room, straighten and dust
- Dining room, straighten and dust
- Kitchen, spot clean cupboards and appliances
- Bedroom, straighten and dust
Once a year I look at:
- cleaning window coverings
- cleaning windows
- swapping seasonal clothing
- thinning books & donating
- clear clutter out of the house & donate
How do you keep the house presentable? Or do you??